Meandering Paw Prints FREE Scarf Pattern

Have you been looking for a scarf pattern that shows off  your love for animals without making you feel like you are wearing a childs design?? The Meandering Paw Prints scarf pattern fits that bill and will work for a Dog or Cat lover equally.

EDIT: I have recently added the matching beanie pattern here on my blog. Find it here

Remember....I am a human and sometimes make mistakes!!  If you find an error with my pattern, please let me know in the comment section and I will try to correct it as soon as possible!!!

 This is an Original Design by Amy B Stitched. Feel free to make for profit, but remember to give credit to me, and link back to my blog www.amysastitchatatime.blogspot.com  
Thank You!!! Amy B

 A lot of hard work goes into writing patterns.  Please feel free to share the link, but do not copy and distribute this pattern by any other means.




If you like getting my FREE patterns and don't want to miss out on any future ones, you can subscribe to my blog and have all of my new entries delivered straight to your email inbox! Just type your email address into the field on the right hand column under the heading "follow by email" and click submit.  Be sure to check your email (sometimes it will end up in your junk/spam folder) and follow the verification steps for your subscription to be complete!!

Blessings!!!

Amy B

MEANDERING PAW PRINTS  

Get the downloadable pdf here
find the VIDEO tutorial here

SKILL LEVEL: Beginner/easy

SIZE: 6 inches wide, each repeat of meandering paw prints is 14” long. I used 5 repeats for an adult scarf and 3 for a childs scarf.

MATERIALS: Size I/9/5.50 mm crochet hook, Worsted/4/medium weight yarn approx. 6 oz (315 yards), yarn needle, measuring tape.

GAUGE: 16 dc = 4 inches, 7 dc rows = 4 inches

TERMS AND ABBREVIATIONS USED:
Ch – chain
Dc – double crochet
Sk – skip
Sp – space
St(s) – stitch (stitches)

NOTE:
1)      Ch 2 at beginning of row does NOT count as a stitch.
2)      Dc in last sk st: Insert the hook into the skipped stitch indicated and continue with your dc in the same manner as the other dc. This binds the two sts together into a cross stitch. (see pics below)

This is what it will look like right before you begin this stitch.

You can see this dc is worked "around" the previous dc.

Completed cross stitch.

Ch 22.
Row 1: Working in the back ridge of the starting ch, dc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across. (20 dc)
Row 2: ch 2, turn. Dc 4, ch 4, sk 2 sts, dc 14.
Row 3: Ch 2, turn. Dc 12, ch 1, sk 1, dc next st, 2 sc in ch sp, dc next st, ch 1, sk 1, dc next 2.
Row 4: Ch 2, turn. Dc 3, ch 1, sk 2, dc next st, dc in last sk st (see note 2), ch 1, sk 1, dc 13.
Row 5: Ch 2, turn. Dc across.
Row 6: Ch 2, turn. Dc 9, ch 4, sk 2, dc 9.
Row 7: Ch 2, turn. Dc 7, ch 1, sk 1, dc next st, 2 sc in ch sp, dc next st, ch 1, sk 1, dc next 7.
Row 8: Ch 2, turn. Dc 8, ch 1, sk 2, dc next st, dc in last sk st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 8.
Row 9: Ch 2, turn. Dc across.
Row 10: Ch 2, turn. Dc 6, ch 4, sk 2, dc 12.
Row 11: Ch 2, turn. Dc 10, ch 1, sk 1, dc next st, 2 sc in ch sp, dc next st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 4.
Row 12: Ch 2, turn. Dc 5, ch 1, sk 2, dc next st, dc in last sk st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 11.
Row 13: Ch 2, turn. Dc across.
Row 14: Ch 2, turn. Dc 12, ch 4, sk 2, dc 6.
Row 15: Ch 2, turn. Dc 4, ch 1, sk 1, dc next st, 2 sc in ch sp. Dc next st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 10.
Row 16: Ch 2, turn. Dc 11, ch 1, sk 2, dc next st, dc in last sk st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 5.
Row 17: Ch 2, turn. Dc across.
Row 18: Ch 2, turn. Dc 8, ch 4, sk 2, dc 10.
Row 19: Ch 2, turn. Dc 8, ch 1, sk 1, dc next st, 2 sc in ch sp, dc next st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 6.
Row 20: Ch 2, turn. Dc 7, ch 1, sk 2, dc next st, dc in last sk st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 9.
Row 21: Ch 2, turn. Dc across.
Row 22: Ch 2, turn. Dc 14, ch 4, sk 2, dc 4.
Row 23: Ch 2, turn. Dc 2, ch 1, sk 1, dc next st, 2 sc next ch sp, dc next st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 12.
Row 24: Ch 2, turn. Dc 13, ch 1, sk 2, dc next st, dc last sk st, ch 1, sk 1, dc 3.
Row 25: Ch 2, turn. Dc across.
Repeat rows 2-25 until desired length is reached.  Finish off and weave in all ends. 

FRINGE
Cut 80 fifteen inch strands. Take 2 strands and attach with a half hitch to each stitch on both ends of the scarf.  Trim ends evenly. 

To give stability and a nice finished detail, I like to slip stitch a row just below the fringe (or above, depending on which way you are looking at it) on each end of the scarf.  This also allows you to even up the ends in case you are like me and you start off much looser than you finish.

Comments

  1. I crochet quite a bit, am planning to crochet some scarves in memory of Loretta and other Forest Hounds abandoned by their hunter owners in Baker County Forest, Baker County, FL :-( My hope is that people will donate generously to have a beautiful scarf designed by you and executed by me <3 This project is in my queue along with transporting animals off Death Row to fosters, Rescue, and, forever homes. Thank you for sharing God's gift to you with the rest of us <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to make a throw using this stitch... how would you modify it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a full size blanket, multiples of 20+ 2

      Delete
    2. Also, repeat from the beginning of the Row (not counting the ch2, turn) to the end of the row until you reach the end of your row. Example *Dc 4, ch 4, sk 2 sts, dc 14*. Repeat between the **.

      Delete
  3. Help I can't get signed in!!!
    kathleenthomas728@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful pattern. Have you done a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a video. Read in the info, link is there.

      Delete
  5. I can't follow up either - please help x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy

    Thank you sooo much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started this scarf sometime last year or so, but I wasn't enjoying my yarn choice. So I frogged it and decided I would give it another go when I got the chance. This past weekend my sweet kitty, Hamster died. Im heartbroken. So I'm going to restart this adorable project as a way to help my grief. I hope that doesn't seem silly. I just wanted to tell you: Thank you for being so generous, and sharing this wonderful little pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Will be making for dog rescues to help raise money. Of course one for me and a few friends. Thanks for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I did a scarf and am at the fringe part but I don’t understand what you mean by half hitch and where to do the slip stitch. Do you have pictures or a video of these?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy,
    I love this scarf and am working on it to give to my neighbor who unfortunately recently lost her dog. I am a bit confused on the fringe part. I don’t know what “half hitch” is and am unsure how to do the slip stitch after the fringe is done. Can you help me understand it please? Do you have a video for the fringe part?
    Thank you,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to do a baby blanket using this pattern...how many stitches would I need between each paw print done in a straight row?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Half hitch is an over hand knot tied around an object. You can see a video on howcast.com search for half hitch knot. you would thread the yarn through a hole. It kind of looks like a pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there a chart for this? I'm having a hard time following the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also having a hard time row 2 adds up to 24 but we only have 20 chains.

      Delete
    2. The chain 4 will only get 2 stitches worked into it, so don't count the extra 2 chains and don't work stitches into them.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for this. I am always looking for something to make for my sister-in-law. This is perfect for her especially when she walks her rescues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter's beloved dog passed recently, and I was soooo excited when I found your scarf pattern with paw prints. I let her know I'd make this in memory of her precious dog. She was very pleased I will be giving her a little comfort with this scarf. Thank you so much for creating such a beautiful perfect pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am just in love with this pattern. It works up quickly and looks so wonderful. I'm not a big fan of fringe and haven't decided yet if I'll add it or not, but either way this is the coolest (or warmest ;0 ) way to say "I love my pets"!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bought the scarfie yarn...had to get 2 skeins to finish, but I made a slouch hat with the remaining yarn.....Did not do fringe....edged entire scarf with one row single crochet. Love how it turned out!! Thank you for pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a little confused with the pattern. Row 2 add's up to 24 stitches and we have only 20 chains. All the Row's add up to 24, Am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading the pattern. Row 2 adds up to 20 stitches. 4 DC, 2 skipped stitches, and 14 DC. You would not count the chain 4.. that is just for working the next row.

      Delete
    2. The chain 4 actually only gets 2 stitches worked into it and you won't count the extra 2 chains and won't work stitches into them either.

      Delete
  20. Thank you so much for pattern. The instructions were so easy to follow and it worked up so quickly. I'm planning on making three for Christmas gifts.
    Blessings, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used this pattern to make scarves for a fundraiser in our school. We use paw prints in our school so this was perfect.
    Thanks for a wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for this delightful pattern. Definitely I can make a few of these for my cat and dog loving relatives plus some for fund raisers for the local animal shelter. Lovely, Amy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for this pattern! It turned out beautifully. But... I can't get my head around how to do the slip stitch row above the fringe. Help please?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi love this pattern but am confused on row 3. I've counted all my stitches correctly 3 times and when i get to row 3 dc 14 repeat from *across ending at ** every time I finish the 14 dc i come up short. Even though I've counted. What am I missing? I'm not counting the ch 2 as a stitch so then I dc 12 ch 1 sk 1 dc next st 2 sc in ch sp dc next st ch 1 sk 1 dc 14. its at this point I end up short 2 stitches.????

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts