Granny Square Stocking Ornament Pattern

I remember learning to make these little ornaments when I was a young girl.  My Grandma Vivian had clipped the pattern from the newspaper and saved it for me.  I have made them many times over the years.  My favorite memory was when my youngest son was in the 1st grade.  I made one for every child in the class and included a pack of gum.  They were a HIT!!!

 I can think of many little items that you could use instead of candy......you could use lip balm, nail polish, match box cars, a few rolled up dollar bills, etc.  You could also make them to decorate place settings at a Christmas Party.  The possibilities are ENDLESS!!!  Not to mention this is a GREAT way to use up those bits of left over yarn.

Give it a <3 or add it to your Ravelry queue here.

**This is an Original Design by Amy B Stitched. Feel free to make for profit, but remember to give credit to me, Amy B, and link back to this blog http://amysastitchatatime.blogspot.com/  Thanks!! 


GRANNY STOCKING ORNAMENT

SIZE: 4” tall x 2” wide at top

MATERIALS:
Worsted (medium) weight yarn, small amount of main and contrasting colors
Size H crochet hook
Yarn needle
Assorted small gifts for filling

GAUGE: not important

With MC chain 4.
Rnd 1: Working all stitches into 4th ch from hook, 2 dc, [ch 2, 3 dc] 3 times. Ch 2.
Sl st into top of beg ch 4 to join.

Rnd 2: Ch 3, turn. (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch sp. * Sk 3 dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch sp. Repeat from * 2 more times. Sl st in top of beg ch 3 to join.

Rnd 3: Ch 3, turn. 2 dc in sp before next st. * Sk 3 dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch 2 sp, sk 3 dc, 3 dc in next sp, sk 3 dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch 2 sp **, sk 3 dc, 9 trc in next sp. Repeat from * to ** one more time.  Sl st in top of beg ch 3 to join.  Turn, sl st to corner. Fold granny square in half (see image below). Ch 1, working through both layers, sc evenly down side and across the bottom.  Finish off.

With CC, join yarn at top of seam.
Rnd 1: sc around top opening of stocking.  Sl st to join.
Rnd 2: ch 1, turn.  Working through back loop only, sc around.  Sl st to join.
Rnds 3-4: Ch 1, DO NOT TURN. Working through both loops, sc around. Sl st to join.  Finish off. Fold cuff down at Rnd 2.


Be Blessed!!!
Amy B

Comments

  1. Hi Amy! When I was a teenager and learned to crochet, I learned to make granny square stockings like the one at this link: https://www.cuteandcozycrochet.com/2017/11/28/granny-stocking-ornament/ I was never totally satisfied with the finished product though because the shape wasn't perfect. Now, at the age of 60, I want to make mini crochet stockings for my 19 co-workers, and I have the advantage in the 21st century of this thing called the internet! So I searched for a "better" granny square stocking, and I found yours! It was near perfect for my purposes! I LOVE it!

    But, I did end up making a few modifications, mostly because I am personalizing each stocking with mini alphabet beads (name of each co-worker), and I needed the white cuff to be a little longer and wider to suit this need. So, here are the modifications I made:

    1. I tend to crochet a little "looser" than most, so my boot wasn't wide enough compared to the heighth of the stocking. To compensate for this, I made 11 treble crochets instead of just 9. This slight modification did the trick and gave my stocking a better shape.

    2. My cuff seemed to "strangle" the top of the stocking, and wasn't wide enough for employees whose name was longer than 5 characters! So I added two extra single crochets in round 1: one halfway around the "round", and one at the end of the round. This added a slight "flare" to the left and right side and alleviated the "strangulation".

    3. I noticed you created a way to have an attached "loop" for hanging, but you didn't tell folks how to do the loop. Here's how I did it: When I joined my CC, I left a long tail about 3-4 inches long; then when I finished off at the end of round 4, I left a similar tail. I wove the ending tail through the back side off the cuff until it came out right where the beginning tail was, then I just tied a knot (like you did). It worked great, and prevents my join-in tail from someday coming unraveled.

    Thanks so much for the great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have made lots of the xmas stocking last year
    Family loved them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts