A SIMPLE SCARF PATTERN for KAREN



So I got this email from my sister earlier today telling me that a co-worker of hers has been reading this blog and was wondering when I would post a simple scarf pattern.  So Karen, this ones for you!!!  Glad you're reading and enjoying my blog!  But I have to be honest, I can't take complete credit for this scarf pattern.  When my younger son was in the 5th grade he was playing around with crochet, trying to decide what he could make to enter in the county fair and he made a scarf using this very same stitch pattern.  He won a FIRST PLACE ribbon on it!!  I was so proud of him.  Well, I like this stitch pattern so much that have used it many times for scarves, dish cloths and even a hat and headband. 

NOTE:  I put tassles on this particular scarf because I have made so many scarves and they all have either a regular fringe or nothing at all and I decided I wanted something different.  This pattern looks beautiful any way you finish off the ends....but I'm super happy with the different look that I got with the tassles!!!

MATERIALS:  Worsted Weight yarn (approx 3.5 oz), size I crochet hook, small amount of contrasting yarn for tassles.

SIMPLE SCARF PATTERN

Ch 18.  (you can actually start with ANY even number of chains, depending on how wide you would like your scarf to be)
Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook and in each ch across (17 sc)
Row 2: Ch 1, turn.  Sc in first stitch, *ch 1, skip next st, sc in next st.  Repeat from * across.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn.  Sc in first stitch and in first ch 1 space, *ch 1, skip next st, sc in next ch 1 sp.  Repeat from * across.   Sc in last st.

Row 4: Ch 1, turn.  Sc in first stitch.  *Ch 1, skip next st, sc in next ch 1 sp.  Repeat from * across.  Sc in last st.
Repeat rows 3 & 4 until scarf reaches desired length.  (I like mine to be at least as long as I am tall.  So approx 5 ½ to 6 feet long.)

TASSLE instructions below with pictures. 




up close detail


use a length of yarn (leave your tail long and you can use this)


Thread yarn matching your tassle through the inside of the gathered end.


wrap yarn around an object approx. 20 times depending on how fluffy you want it.  I used my crochet hook case because it was handy and just about the right size.  You could also use a paperback book or cd case.



After you remove the yarn loops, tie them to the end of the scarf with asecure knot.  Do not cut ends, position them with the flow of the other strands.


Smooth the yarns out and gather them securely in your hand.


Taking another long length of yarn, make a loop, holding it against the tassle body with your fingers.


using one of the tails, wrap it securely from bottom to top about 1 1/2" from the top of the tassle.  Take the wrapping end and thread it through the loop at the top.


Pull the remaining tail at the bottom until the tail at the top is lodged securely into the wrapped band.  What you will have left is this small tail show in the pic above.  Carefully clip this off. 

Repeat with second tassle and trim evenly (or as evenly as possible!!)


Comments

Popular Posts